Thursday, February 28, 2008

1980 Topps

My apologies for waiting so long to post. It's been a crazy week, capped off by a 20 page paper on "the pre-industrial origins of Japanese nationalism." As interesting as I find the theories of Ernest Gellner, Benedict Anderson and Anthony Smith, I won't bore you with the details. Let's just say that I'm happy to get that paper finished with.

Anyway, since I'm at school right now, this post won't be about my Diamond Mind league. Hope you can deal with it.

As you may have guessed from the links on the side, I'm a big baseball card fan. I started collecting cards when I was really, really young. My dad bought me a pack or two when I was two years old, cards which (unfortunately) were either eaten or colored on. I can remember spending allowance money on pack after pack of 1990 Topps (50 cents at the local Harmons) and 1988 Donruss. Sure, that's nothing spectacular, but it sure brings back a lot of childhood memories.

Recently, I bought this Rickey Henderson rookie card for $4 on EBay (scan is from the auction):
As you can see, the card is in far from perfect condition. I'm guessing it would register a 2 at the highest. Still, despite the edge and corner problems, it's a nice looking card. I like cards that I'm not afraid to handle, cards that I can touch and put into binders without worrying about losing money.

Anyway, this card got me interested in collecting 1980 Topps. I bought a few team sets, as well as an EBay lot of about 350+ commons (only $10!). Hopefully I'll be able to complete a set before graduation in August.

Here's the back of the Henderson:

Anyway, there you have it. I'll try to write more later today.

No comments: